Friday, June 26, 2015

Goodbyes aren't real~June 24

But really, I promise we're friends
Today was my last morning visit to Manikandan, we even took a picture to mark the occasion. Needless to say, it is both the worst and best picture possible. I don't think our bond is accurately reflected by his deer in the headlights expression. I promise I have not made up everything, and he is genuinely, really happy to see me every morning. 

Today was the final and 18th day of birdwatching. Now I'm not superstitious (that is a lie, I should be a baseball player), but in Judaism the number 18 is known as chai, which means life. Long story short, it's a very good omen, and I think very much a reflection of what this trip was about. Although, to be honest, I think I'll be breaking out my little kid binoculars and doing some Appalachian birdwatching when I return. Being able to identify all the birds you see is both alarming and satisfying, to only be able to do it on the Indian subcontinent seems like a waste. 

I saw another rose ringed parakeet today. They've become like the extra long, weird hairs that you occasionally find growing out of your cheek, or some other odd place on your face. Clearly they've been there a while, because, come on what is this, two inches long? How have I never seen this? Once you see them, you're now acutely aware of their presence. 

There is still a lone purple heron. I believe this supports my theory that the day I saw three, it was book club day. It would make sense, because, I mean, no one hosts book club twice in a row, who is Stephanie the Purple Heron trying to impress? We get it, you can make a cheese plate and your house is immaculate, but you still can't go twice. 

Sarah came with me in the afternoon to see the birds. I think she got to see everything in one day. There were plenty of interesting birds, a funeral procession, and the whole SBS was there. Saying goodbye to everyone was a little sad. I am, in general, bad with goodbyes, because I don't really believe in them. Being in different places doesn't mean that you'll never see each other again. For this reason, it was more of an until next time. I'll be back for Shiva's wedding soon enough and when the planets align and I get married, there will be a whole cluster of Indian faces at mine. Forever goodbyes are a choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment