Thursday, June 4, 2015

Ornithologists missed a day in kindergarten~June 3

 Today's excitement started at the tea stand. I was brought my usual black tea but noticed today that the vendor also makes some sort of bread thing in what I could only assume was oil. I asked Shiva what it was and he said it was made of dough. I saw a hole in one of them and asked if they were donuts. Obviously that didn't translate very well so I just asked if they were sweet. Shiva brought two of them to me and said they were salty and had onions and as I later discovered peppers. I was slightly hesitant to eat them but I had just watched them be pulled out of a vat of boiling oil. If a bacteria survived that, I think I'd accept my immune system surrendering out of respect. The little salty donuts are called dosa and are actually quite good. 

To be honest I was disappointed they weren't sweet. I love sugar to an alarming degree and was promised diabetic levels of overly sweetened food in this country. I mean that literally, the people here actually eat so much sugar that diabetes is a big health issue. I'm not saying I want diabetes, but could a girl get some dough rolled in sugar instead of mixed with vegetables?

Upon arriving to the site this morning there was, of course, even more trash and dirt. Luckily in the mornings there's not too much traffic, so there aren't so many people to gawk at what must be a perplexing sight. It's not every day you drive to work and see a tall white girl hanging out at the local dump staring at the water through her binoculars. 

Today's grand avian discovery was a Purple Herron. As we watched the bird bend it's long graceful neck to eat from the water Shyam shook his head and pointed out that the Purple Herron is not actually purple. I suggested that maybe from afar it looked purple. He pointed to the bird and said "No, it is ash not purple". He then started passionately pointing to other birds on the lake, "Purple Moorhen is blue, Purple sunbird is ash, Purple Herron is ash. No bird is purple". Shyam, it should be noted, is becoming a very passionate birdwatcher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment