Sunday, June 21, 2015

I'm not lost, just American~June 20 & 21

The three of us decided to celebrate our last weekend in Trichy with a trip to Punbugar, a giant outdoor street market. The wind season has caused the weather to be much cooler so we can actually go out during the day without melting. The one downside of being obviously foreign in India, is that any time you're walking down a street, every rickshaw driver will slow down to ask if you want a ride. I have legs, I can walk, thanks. Apparently, being foreign equals being lost.

We spent most of the day looking for jewelry and gifts for friends. Everything is so cheap compared to the U.S. so you can really shop for days. When buying Indian jewelry however, you have to pay attention to the earring backs. Most will be a screw back, the issue is that the post is the size of a small gauge. How these women fit them in their ears, I could not tell you. Sarah and I have been trying since we accidentally bought a pair, and it's been a really disappointing and sad endeavor. The other Sarah however, got her ears pierced as a baby and she can wear them. It should be noted, that she got her ears pierced in Africa. The ear piercing process here is obviously something I can live without seeing. 

On Sunday, the dreaded moment finally occurred, I saw a monkey. Come to find out there were actually two monkeys, and the one we saw was an adolescent. As much as I dislike monkeys, he had a really cute face. I can almost understand why people enjoy them so much. If I didn't know their adorable monkey faces were just a trap, set in order to bite you and give you all kinds of diseases, I'd probably like them too. 

We had a great last weekend in Trichy, it's odd to think this time next weekend we'll be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment