Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Keeping up with the Joneses~June 15

This morning we arrived back in Trichy at 3:30AM. Before going to Pondicherry, I could not get out of Trichy fast enough. I needed to see new things, people and the ocean. As we drove back into Trichy however, I couldn't imagine spending another day away. It was only a weekend but I really missed seeing the SBS, I'm not sure how I'm going to handle leaving them to go back to America. But as Shiva said today "when you come back for my wedding, I'll show you my village" and really truly in a few years that's exactly what I'll be doing.  I don't believe in goodbyes. 

Thankfully, Dr. Relton told the students we'd be taking the morning off, as I wouldn't be getting back until very early in the morning. This meant no 5:30 wake up, which as you can imagine, was blissful. During the day I mostly focused on pulling all my things back together and assessing potential issues with packing all the things I'd bought in Pondicherry. I may or may not have gone a little crazy, but I pride myself on my gift giving abilities and India has been no exception. 

While at the site today I met the boy who actually lights the bodies on fire in the traditional crematory. That's what he is too, a boy. Shiva told me he's 12 years old and that he works instead of going to
school. Of course this turned me into a cooing, horrified American. Shiva said the boy doesn't like school and is happy with his position. It's just very hard to fathom. To look into the face of a 12 year old boy with more courage and maturity than my peers and probably myself was very humbling. I just remember looking at Shiva and saying "but shouldn't he be out playing".
http://leesbirdblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/pied-kingfisher2.jpg

Today's bird is the Pied Kingfisher. As you know, we've already addressed the eclectic White-Throated Kingfisher. The Pied Kingfisher is the opposite of the White-Throated Kingfisher in terms of aesthetic and in the case of my wetland in terms of birdy marital bliss. The Pied Kingfisher is an almost checkered pattern of black and white, very classy and clean cut. These birds obviously belong to a country club in Charlotte. Whenever I see one Pied Kingfisher sitting on some grass, I immediately look for the mate. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, he's probably turning in his golf clubs, but sure enough the other Kingfisher will come fluttering over to sit beside its mate. At this moment I always become acutely aware of how incredibly single I am. I'd like to say that a pair of chessboard patterned birds don't make me the teeniest bit bitter, but here we are folks. For obvious reasons, my  pair of Pied Kingfisher are named the Joneses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment