Friday, June 19, 2015

"If you wear a bindi, your face will be more pretty"~June 17

Yesterday marked the first day of Arani Audi or Wind Season. This season is hands down, the best idea India's ever had. It's essentially a period of time, before monsoon season begins, when it is just really windy. It's like a giant fan wherever you walk and I love it. 

Shown: More pretty faces
My favorite frequenter of the wetland road is an old man who walks his Pomeranian every morning. I always smile adoringly at the dog, which is my way of asking if I can pet him/her, so far, the owner just looks at me like I'm an alien, while his little dog pulls on the leash like a toddler wearing a leash backpack. Judging from the immaculate state of the little dog's coat, I wouldn't be surprised if he had his own room. Today, my fascination with the dog and his owner reached a new level. They must have been feeling especially Hindu today because both owner AND dog had long red powder marks down their foreheads. I'd laugh, but my own mother forbids our pets from eating pork products, as pork is not kosher and our dogs are of course, Jewish, like the rest of the family.

Today I wore some traditional style Indian earrings that I picked up in Pondicherry. I'm pretty in love with them. They look like little upside down bowls with beads hanging off of them. My head bobble has become twice as satisfying, as now my earrings jingle with the movement. I'm pretty sure that explains the origin of the head bobble. Shyam and Shiva were very excited about my earrings. Shyam noticed my cartilage piercing as well and asked about it. I told him I had gotten it when I was 18 because I thought I was cool. He was exceedingly pleased with its existence. He told me if I just wore a bindi, I'd have a "more pretty face". Solid advice Shyam. 

birding.in
Today's bird is the Purple Sunbird. This tiny little bird loves to give me whiplash as it races around the grasses. At this point, I can identify the tiny rapid moving blob as a Sunbird, so I don't have to turn in circles with binoculars held up to my face anymore. I do believe this levels me up to a novice birdwatcher. These birds tend to cluster together and chatter at one another in the grasses. It sounds something like a Kindergarten classroom.  

https://Farunachalabirds.blogspot.com
The Purple Sunbird has received the spotlight because this morning I saw a male in full breeding plumage. I noticed this little man because he would not shut up. I mean seriously, it went on forever and ever. I just stared at the little bird waiting for it to stop screeching. It did not. Mind you, at this point I was not aware it was a male trying to holler at some lady birds, I just thought it was the most annoying creature to ever grace this Earth. When I finally found it in the bird guide, I had an overwhelming feeling that everything I knew was a lie. I thought I knew what a Purple Sunbird looked like, but I only knew half the story. When I told you birdwatching could be really deep, I was being serious. 


No comments:

Post a Comment